About my skin: I have combination oily skin that is acne prone and sensitive -- total pain in the ass. Typically I don't suffer from nodular acne, but I get what I call "baby bumps" all over my forehead, chin, and sometimes my cheeks. They are painless bumps that remain under the skin and rarely form a head. On occasion I will get a painful blemish but that is usually because of my lady time. I have to frequently exfoliate because I have fast cell turnover and oily skin. I have seen a drastic improvement in the condition of my skin from the skincare routine described below.
TIPS FOR CLEARER SKIN:
1. Do NOT under any circumstances touch your face during the day. This is pretty well known, but I think it is one of the most important points that I will make.
2. Wash your bed sheets frequently. I wash mine at least once a week. Dead skin, oil from your hair and face, and other yucky stuff resides on your pillow case. Wash in warm water!
3. Exfoliate gently and regularly. I use a wash cloth to exfoliate every night but you can use a scrub brush like a Clarisonic, homemade sugar scrubs, or ones that you purchase in stores. There are a million different scrubs on the market but they aren't created equal. I prefer the ones that have "micro beads" because they are round and won't scratch the face -- which only irritates it further.
4. Drink plenty of water!
5. Don't wear makeup at least two days a week. This may not be feasible for everyone, but do what you can. Your skin needs time to breathe and repair itself!
6. Wash your makeup brushes frequently. I wash my foundation brush every other use.
7. Keep your skincare routine simple and be consistent. I think sometimes we overload our skin with way too many products with crazy harsh ingredients. Try to simplify! Use one product that has an acne ingredient and keep the other products basic and gentle. Remember, it takes about a month for your skin to get accustomed to any changes in your routine so try to stick it out.
8. Use a toner and moisturizer suited for your skin type. Everyone needs to use both, but I think one of the most difficult aspects of skincare is finding a moisturizer that works well with your skin type.
9. Keep your cell phone clean. This goes along the same lines as not touching your face during the day. You touch your phone with your hands which then touches your face -- recipe for disaster.
10. Use a CLEAN washcloth every night when washing your face. This may seem a bit old school but I'm telling you it works!! Apply soap or cleanser to face with wash cloth using circular motions. Be very gentle!
MY SKINCARE ROUTINE
I've used Dove soap twice daily for years. It is the most gentle cleanser I have found. It doesn't dry out my skin and it gets the job done. Like I said earlier, I use a clean wash cloth every time.
Mario Badescu Special Cucumber Lotion ($15)
This toner is for acne prone skin and sometimes I find it a little too harsh. If my skin feels like it's getting a bit dry I will skip this step.
Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Moisturizer ($15)
Because it has Salicylic Acid in it, this moisturizer helps to prevent acne and keep my skin hydrated.
Makeup Removing Wipes (not pictured)
Mario Badescu Special Cucumber Lotion
Murad Age-Balancing Night Cream ($75)
This is the best night cream I have ever found. It is marketed towards post menopausal woman, but I think it works great on any age group. It hydrates, plumps, and makes my skin feel amazing. I always look forward to this step!
So that's it for my tips and skincare routine! I hope you found it helpful! :)
Have you tried any of these products? Do you have any tips for clearer skin?